Adjunct hiring processPage address: http://ed.mnsu.edu/about/policies/adjunct.html
Adjunct faculty are hired to meet temporary staffing needs due to
- Enrollment increases for which normal full funding is not provided
- When faculty are reassigned to other duties or who are on sabbatical or on other leaves of absence
- To teach courses requiring special expertise and/or meet special programmatic needs of departments
- Adjunct faculty are covered under the IFO/Minnesota State Master Agreement for the current contract year. Specifications from the contract include (from IFO/Minnesota State Master Agreement 2001-2003):
- Appointment Duration - The appointment terminates at the end of the stated period and carries no implication of future employment.
- Qualifications - An adjunct will have a master's degree, specialized licensure or other special preparation or experience
- Assignment/Workload - An adjunct faculty member shall not teach more than ten (10) credits in any one (1) academic year
- Hiring Procedure - The President/designee shall consult with the department concerning the need for hiring adjuncts. The department shall be responsible for evaluating the academic credentials of the candidates and making recommendations to the president.
- College of Education Process - Faculty candidate's resume/vita is submitted to the College of Education's Dean's office along with a Unclassified Personnel Document. Share Adjunct/New Faculty Handbook with adjunct once hiring is complete.
For Further Information
- Employee resource guide
- State of MN careers
- Unclassified Personnel Form
- Adjunct Appointment Authorization
- Department chair distributes handbook and reviews orientation checklist with adjunct faculty