Conferences and EventsPage address: http://ed.mnsu.edu/cepss/conferences_events.html
14th Annual Play Therapy Conference
Trauma-Informed Expressive Arts and Play Therapy
A workshop presented by Cathy A. Malchiodi, PhD, ATR-BC, LPCC, LPAT, REAT
This one-day hands-on workshop teaches the foundations of trauma-informed practice and the seven concepts involved in trauma-informed expressive arts therapy and play therapy including neurodevelopment, safety, self-regulation, somatic approaches, cultural sensitivity and resilience-building. The emphasis is on applications of expressive arts therapies and creative interventions in self-regulation and establishing safety, resilience building and posttraumatic growth, and establishing and supporting healthy attachment. Participants will learn a variety of evidence-based activities to apply in trauma-informed, resiliency-building work children, adolescents, and families and engage in creative writing and simple expressive arts activities; by the end of the workshop, play therapists will have a practical foundation in trauma-informed expressive arts and leave with a variety of resources on creative approaches to apply in their work.
- Define at least 5 components of trauma-informed expressive arts and play therapy with children;
- Define at least 3 ways play therapy is a trauma-informed approach;
- Identify at least 2 expressive arts and play-based approaches to establish safety and self-regulation;
- Define how neurodevelopment is relevant to expressive arts and play therapy interventions and how to apply it to practice;
- Define the Expressive Therapies Continuum as it relates to expressive arts therapy and play therapy practice;
- Define at least 4 characteristics of resilient children in play therapy practice;
- Identify at least 2 expressive arts and play therapy interventions to support resilience.
Requests for cancellation must be made in writing to the Center for Educator Partnerships and Student Support. Refunds will be given on requests received prior to September 7, less a $20 administrative fee per registrant. Registrants can transfer their registration to another person.