M.S. in School Library and Information StudiesPage address: http://ed.mnsu.edu/ksp/lme/
The SLIS program at Minnesota State University, Mankato ranks 7th in the 2017 Top Online Colleges for Library Science Degrees! SR Education Group analyzes accredited online schools across the nation, taking into consideration academic strength factors along with annual tuition rates in order to provide a list of colleges offering the best value to students.
The School Library and Information Studies Program is "Nationally Recognized" by the Council for the Accreditation of Education Preparation (CAEP) and the American Library Association/American Association of School Librarians (ALA/AASL).
The School Library and Information Studies (SLIS) Program at Minnesota State University, Mankato leads to licensure in School Library Media and can also lead to a Master’s degree.
If you have a current teaching license you can earn a Minnesota School Library Media license in 24 – 36 months through our SLIS program and a Master’s degree by completing an additional six credits.
If you have an undergraduate degree, but not a teaching license, you can earn a teaching license as a school library media educator through our Graduate Teacher Licensure Program.
The School Library and Information Studies program, a 100% online program, offers convenient, focused, high quality instruction that fills a rapidly evolving professional need in Minnesota and nationwide. The program offers instruction and credential that serves as a gateway to an occupation with a growing demand - openings in the job market for graduates of the program is anticipated to increase by 10.8% by 2020.
Students enrolled in online courses at Minnesota State University Mankato are eligible for a tuition rate equivalent to the rate charged for Minnesota resident students.
- Graduates possess superior skills and confidence as a teachers and leaders
- Graduates are experienced online learners who use multimedia to enhance interaction (visual and auditory presence in discussions, lectures, and meetings)
- Graduates customize their courses and products to meet the needs of their school settings
- Graduates complete the program at a pace that meets their financial resources and workload
- Graduates participate in professional mentoring from MSU faculty to document increases in: student learning, responsiveness to diversity, technology integration, understanding and reasoning, and scholarly research and writing
- Courses are aligned to AASL and Minnesota Board of Teaching standards and the program is accredited by CAEP (formerly NCATE)
What Our Students Say About the Program
“I researched several programs around the United States. I chose this Program at MSU, Mankato for several reasons. I appreciate that the program offers all the courses that are required (some programs require students take a course or more from outside the institution to fulfill program requirements). The tuition is very reasonable. I like that the ... Program can include a master’s degree…”
Wayne A., Washington
“This ... program was just the program I was looking for. Everyone, so far, that I have had to deal with has been very accommodating and helpful. I've been able to do all my business over the phone or online. Also, I know many previous students who are and were attending there and liked the school… My new place of employment requires me to be licensed in the library in order to retain the position.”
Sandra H., Media Specialist, MN
“I needed an on-line program and only MSU offered it. The classes are helpful and it is worth the time and money to have the added (master’s) degree, both personally and professionally.”
Amy J., Media Paraprofessional, MN