shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Teacher Licensure

Page address:

Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) and Board of Teaching (BOT) have been combined and have been renamed Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board (PELSB). 

Minnesota State University, Mankato urges you to apply for Teacher Licensure as soon as you complete the program and additional requirements. Standards for teaching evolve and change therefore you may qualify for a Minnesota Teaching License today but if you wait to apply you may find that standards have changed. What that would mean is that you may no longer qualify for licensure. If that becomes the case it could require you to take additional coursework, testing, and/or other requirements.

Please note that even if you plan to teach in another state it is recommended that you first apply for your Minnesota Licensure. Other states often times require your University to sign off on a recommendation and frequently we cannot do that without you first receiving a Minnesota Teaching Licensure. 


Want to know more about our Licensure Programs?

Minnesota State University, Mankato offers a number of teacher licensure programs. For a list of programs and contacts please go to our Licensure Areas webpage.

For information about our add-on Kindergarten or 5-8 middle school options visit our Elementary and Literacy Education Minors, Endorsements, and Certificates webpage.

For information about out K-12 & Secondary programs including Graduate Programs please visit our Educational Studies: K-12 Secondary Programs webpage


You have completed your program and are ready to apply.

We request that you go thoroughly through the following pages to find out more about the application process. As future teachers we know that, you know, the importance of following directions. 


Initial Licensure and Add-on Applications  have been changed to a Tier System. Go to this link for  steps on where to find the application and a list of all the required documents you must submit.

Other Licensure Types-Explains the steps if you are applying for Kindergarten Endorsement, School Counseling Applicants, Administrative Applicants, students who have graduated more than four years ago, if you want to come back to school to get licensed in teaching, applicants coming from another state and applicants applying to another state. 

Frequently Asked Questions- this is a great resource to get your questions answered and to learn more details.


It is also advised that you familiarize yourself with the information found on the PELSB Website,