Initial LicensePage address: http://ed.mnsu.edu/licensure/firsttime_licensure.html
You must first determine that you are ready to apply.
- In order to qualify for licensure your degree has to be officially awarded. This typically takes 2-3 weeks after graduation.This is processed by the Registrar's Office.
- You must have taken all of your licesure exams that correspond with your licensure. You must wait until you receive your Official Score report, whether you pass or fail. If you have more questions about your licensure exams please go to our MTLE webpage or see our FAQ: MTLE Questions.
Step By Step for First Time Licensure Applicant
- Go to the Minnesota Department of Education Website
- Upon successful submission of the online application, the Department of Education will send you a confirmation.
- You will then mail hard copy documents (see list of documents below for complete list) to:
College of Education Dean's Office
118 Armstrong Hall
Mankato, MN 56001
List Of Documents: All these items must be sent together to the Teacher Licensure Official.
Do NOT Staple Documents Together
- Cover Sheet (MDE's confirmation letter) showing your Process No. Comes from MDE website. Example
- Verification of Completion of a State-Approved Licensure Program Form. Comes from MDE website. Example
- Fingerprint Card
- Course Check Off List complete for your specific teaching field. Follow directions on top of webpage.
- Official transcripts from any other university if you took any of the courses listed on the Course Check Off List somewhere other than MNSU.
For Graduate Teacher Licensure Candidates (GTL) we will need everything listed above in addition to the following:
- You must also submit a copy of your final Plan of Study. Example
- You will need to submit a sealed Official Transcript of your Undergrad Degree if it was somewhere other than MNSU.