shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Application Process

Page address:

Note due to the high volumes of applications we will NOT be able to give updates. Make sure to check your PELSB account for updates. 

You must first determine that you are ready to apply.

  • In order to qualify for licensure your degree has to be officially awarded or you have completed your program. Transcripts are processed by the Registrar's Office. Direct all questions about your degree/grade posting to their office.  
  • You must have taken all of your licensure exams that correspond with your licensure. You must wait until you receive your Official Score report, whether you pass or fail. 

Next you will need to determine if you qualify for a Tier 2 or Tier 3. These are the only tiers processed through the University. We also process some Tier 4 when applicable.

  • Go to the Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board website.
  • You will need to read through their descriptions to determine what you will qualify for. 
  • The Verification Page is to be filled out by us at the University. Leave it blank. We sign off on it once we verify that you qualify for licensure. 
  • You will then mail all hardcopy documents (see list of documents below for complete list) to:
ATTN: Mari
College of Education Dean's Office
118 Armstrong Hall
Mankato, MN 56001

List Of Documents: All these items must be sent together to the Teacher Licensure Official.

Do NOT Staple any Documents Together

  • Application. Comes from the PELSB website.
  • Payment (refer to the front page of your application for details)
  • Fingerprint Card - for those who are applying for their first licensure. 
  • We may request Official transcripts from your coursework from another University. We will contact you if this is needed. Visit our FAQ webpage for additional questions about transcripts. 
  • Attach a note that includes:
    • Your [JPG] University Tech Id# (524 KiB)
    • What specific area of licensure you are applying for
    • What semester you completed your program
    • If you've had a name change
    • This note MUST be sent with application. 

You will NOT need to submit transcripts from Minnesota State University, Mankato, however if you have a "Financial Hold" we will not be able to access your transcript until you take care of that through the appropriate office. 

SPED Grad applicants must submit their Plan Of Study.

For Graduate Teacher Licensure Candidates (GTL) we will need everything listed above in addition to the following:

  • You must also submit a copy of your final Plan of Study. [PDF] Example (486 KiB)
  • You will need to submit a sealed Official Transcript of your Undergrad Degree if it was somewhere other than MNSU.