Frequently Asked Questions (Graduate and Master’s Program)Page address: http://ed.mnsu.edu/sped/faq.html
Applying to the Program
Q: I am only interested in being able to apply for an additional license, which option should I select when applying?
- First you will need to determine the licensure area that you are seeking, then you will choose "degree seeking" and choose "graduate certificate".
Q: I am interested in being able to apply for an additional license and a masters degree, which option should I select when applying?
- First you will need to determine the licensure area that you are seeking, then you will choose "degree seeking" and choose "masters degree".
Q: I only want to take classes in Mankato or Edina, how can I do this?
- Our program is completely online. We have faculty on both campuses, but courses are not formally taught at either campus.
Q: I only want a license, why can I not choose that option when applying?
- The university awards a graduate certificate. Upon completion of the certificate, students will complete an application for licensure with the MN Department of Education. The college of education licensure officer will confirm that a student has met the requirements for licensure and make a recommendation on the student's behalf to MN Department of Education.
Q: I have an existing MN special education teaching license and I want to add an additional license, how many courses do I need?
- If you have an ECSE license, you would need a total of 18 credits (1 core special education course, 2 disability specific content courses, student teaching, and a seminar).
-If you have an ASD, DD, DHH, EBD, or LD license, you would need a total of 14 credits (2 disability specific content courses, student teaching, and a seminar).
Q: I am seeking an ECSE license, do I need to take the MTLE pedagogy test for early childhood?
- If you are adding an ECSE license to any other license other than existing EC MN teaching license then you would need to take the early childhood pedagogy test. Those holding an EC MN teaching license do not need to take the EC pedagogy test.
Q: I need to add a license to my ABS license, do I need to take all coursework again?
- Our program is designed to meet the needs of students who would be seeking either initial or add-on licensure. If you are have an existing MN ABS license and want to add either ASD, DCD, EBD, or LD then then you would need a total of 14 credits from MSU, Mankato. The 14 credits would be 2 disability specific content courses, student teaching, and a seminar.
Q: I am only seeking an additional license (add-on) license to my existing MN teaching license, do I have to student teach?
- Yes, you will still be required to complete student teaching in the licensure area that you are seeking. For more information, please see this link.
Q: Are there field experience requirements for the courses?
- Yes, almost all of the graduate courses would have a field experience component. These field experiences would range from 5 - 20 hours/course. Individual faculty teaching the course would be able to answer specific questions regarding these requirements.
Q: What are the tuition costs for the program?
- Tuition costs can be calculated from this link- make sure to check the online rate as all of our courses are offered online.
Q: I don't understand the difference between a masters and a graduate certificate, if I am seeking a license?
- Our program is a graduate program, so when applying you would need to choose either masters or graduate certificate. Both of these options would have course work that would meet requirements for a license. The masters degree is the only option that leads to an actual degree.